The preseason Amway Coaches Poll is out and what to say? It’s a preseason poll. The most noteworthy item is that the Coaches Poll is now sponsored by a “multi-level marketing” company, which is to say “pyramid scheme.”
That seems oddly befitting the Coaches Poll.
Preseason polls are fun to gauge expectations on various teams and conferences. For example, the Pac-12’s six teams cracking the initial Top 25 is a record and indication of the league’s continued growth. But preseason polls also generate inevitable bellyaching.
Some of the more common #HotTakes to expect:
• THIS IS A CONSPIRACY AGAINST ALABAMA, PAUL! EVERYONE IS JUST JEALOUS OF NICK SABAN AND HE’S GONNA USE THIS NO. 2 RANKING AS MOTIVATION, ROLL TIDE!
• The last time Oklahoma and Alabama played, the Sooners ran circles around the Tide. More SEC bias. -OR- Yeah, yeah, yeah, Oklahoma is in the preseason top 5 every year but always chokes at some point.
• AUBURN WON THE S-E-C, PAUL FINEBAUM! JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW EVERYBODY IN FOOTBALL IS IN THE TANK FOR NICK SABAN!
• Ohio State at 6 and Michigan State at 8? As if the Big Ten deserved two top-10 teams.
• UCLA is soooo overrated.
• South Carolina is the third and last SEC team in the top 10? More anti-SEC bias. The SEC deserves *at least* half the top 10.
• Everyone doubts USC! -OR- USC is only ranked this highly because of its past success.
• Notre Dame is literally the worst team ever and wouldn’t win two games in the SEC. This No. 16 ranking is a travesty. -OR- Yet another example of sickening, jealousy-fueled anti-Notre Dame rhetoric.
• North Carolina in the Top 25? What is this, a basketball poll?
• Enjoy that ranking while it lasts, Texas.
Feel free to use any of the above for a drinking game, though The College Football Huddle reminds its readers to drink responsibly.
Of genuine note: No teams outside of the Power 5 landed in the Coaches Poll. BYU, Boise State and UCF all have legitimate cases–particularly UCF, which last year took No. 9 South Carolina to the brink and routed No. 10 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.
— UCFSportsInfo (@UCFSportsInfo) July 31, 2014
AMWAY COACHES POLL
1. Florida State
6. Ohio State
8. Michigan State
9. South Carolina
17. Notre Dame
18. Arizona State
19. Ole Miss
20. Texas A&M
21. Kansas State
23. North Carolina